Skip to content


Share | 

Roadway Maintenance

Roadside Maintenance:

  • Shoulder Maintenance – Restoring road shoulders to grade so that water drains properly along County rights-of-way.
  • Roadside mowing along County rights-of-way or on County-owned lots.
  • Trimming of brush and trees in County rights-of-way or on County-owned lots.
  • Removing trees in County rights-of-way or on County-owned lots.
  • Minor repair of curb and gutter along County-owned streets. If the repairs required warrant curb/gutter replacement, the request is prioritized based on the severity of the problem and availability of funds.
  • Roadside litter and debris are picked up along all County-owned roadways by the Highway Department.  Litter and/or debris must be within the County right-of-way.  If you would like to request litter/debris removal on County owned right-of-way or property, please contact your appropriate Highway Department section as listed at the top of the page
  • Driveways and drainage pipes running under driveways are private property.  Therefore, maintenance is the responsibility of the property owner.

Property Owners Responsibility:

  • Sidewalk repairs are the responsibility of Property Owners.  The County will only repair sidewalks that have been damaged by the County.
  • Litter and Debris:
    • If the litter/debris is on private property, removal is the responsibility of the property owner.
    • Certain types of litter, such as excessive household litter on a private lot can be addressed by the Health Department by calling 240-313-3200.
    • Larger pieces of debris, such as old furniture on a private lot can be addressed by the Permits & Inspections Department at 240-313-2460.

Stormwater Drainage:

  • Stormwater drainage maintenance is performed by the four Highway Department sections using the following types of service:
    • Cleaning of all County-owned drainage ditches.
    • Cleaning of all County-owned storm drain pipes.
    • Cleaning of all County-owned drain inlets.
    • Cleaning of all County-owned curbs/gutters.
    • Repair of all County-owned storm drain inlets.
    • Repair of all County-owned storm drain pipes.
  • To report any needed drainage repair, please use this link to Report a Roadway Problem

601 Northern Avenue
Hagerstown, MD 21742

Summer Hours: April 1, 2024 – November 8, 2024
Monday – Thursday, 6:00am – 4:00pm.

Winter Hours: October 30, 2023 – March 29, 2024
 – Friday, 7:00am – 3:00pm.

Phone: 240-313-2720

Fax: 301-791-2897


Central: 240-313-2720
Eastern: 301-824-2801
Southern: 301-432-4039
Western: 301-842-2368

TTY users may call any government office through the Maryland Relay Service 1-800-735-2258

Liberal Leave is in effective for Washington County Government


Liberal leave is in effect for all non-essential personal on Tuesday, February 13, 2024, until noon. Essential personnel are expected to fulfill their duties as usual.

The starting time for today’s Board of County Commissioners meeting will be reevaluated at 9:00 am.

For those required to travel, exercise caution on the roadways. If driving is necessary, ensure your vehicle is completely cleared, drive at a reduced speed, practice caution, and avoid crowding or passing plows.
We’ll keep the public informed of any changes. Stay updated by monitoring Washington County Government’s website and social media channels for the latest information. Your safety is our priority!