A Special Message from Washington County's Director of Environmental Management
Effective immediately the Fort West Landfill at 12630 Earth Care Road in Hagerstown is restricted to essential use only.
This action is being taken due to the State of Emergency and in compliance with the Governor’s Executive Order #20-03-30-01.
To keep the landfill staff and community members safe, we appreciate your cooperation with this request.
- No citizen should bring nonessential waste, such as non-perishable items, household project cleanups, mattresses, yard waste, electronics or any bulk items.
- The main office is temporarily closed to the public.
- Permit sales are temporarily suspended.
- Compost and mulch sales are temporally suspended.
- No restrictions for commercial haulers.
- Permit holders may dump per regulations.
- No restrictions for essential business allowed to operate under the Governor’s Executive Order.
- Disposal of household waste from citizens that do not have at home collection of waste.
To provide effective solid waste management and recycling for the residents of Washington County while looking for new, innovative, cost effective and environmentally sound ways to conduct solid waste and recycling operations in the future.
To research ways to convert solid waste to a resource and minimize if not eliminate the need for landfills.
Solid Waste & Recycling Menu
Forty West Landfill
12630 Earth Care Road
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Landfill Hours: Monday – Saturday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
TTY users: 1-800-735-2258