- Establish a vision for the community’s schools and participate in strategic planning.
- Develop effective policies and review them periodically.
- Provide accountability to the community on student achievement.
- Advocate for the needs of all students at the local, state and national levels.
- Attend several meetings per month (20+hours per week).
- Hire Superintendent and negotiate contract.
- Evaluate the Superintendent annually.
- Conduct student and employee appeals.
- Approve or reject program proposals.
- Develop, approve and manage budget.
- Adopt school calendar.
Please submit all documents below as part of the application packet:
- Cover Letter – stating the candidate’s interest in the position and relevant experience in public service or education
- Financial Disclosure Form
- Brief essay from candidate addressing why they would like to be appointed to the vacancy and what they would contribute to the school board
- Applicants must be registered voters in Washington County, MD
- Applicants are advised to read the state statute governing the appointment process and to review the school board’s ethics policy
All applications must be received by Monday, October 26, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
Applications may be submitted:
- Electronically: Washington County Clerk Krista Hart at [email protected]. The subject line should read “BOE Application”.
- In-person: Sealed Applications may be dropped off at Washington County Administrative Complex, 100 W Washington Street, Hagerstown, MD 21740, ATTN: Marilee Kerns
- Mail: Washington County Administrative Complex, 100 W Washington Street, Suite 1101, Hagerstown, MD 21740 ATTN: Marilee Kerns