School Board Nominating Commission
School Board Nominating Commission Members:
- Senate – Shelley McIntire
- Delegates – Dr. Brenda Thiam
- Board of Education – Michael Guessford
- Chair – Marilee Kerns
- Educational Community – Marsha Flowers, Washington County Public Schools
- Business Community – Dr. Klauber, Hagerstown Community College
- Citizen Advisory Council – Brian Albert
Responsibilities of School Board Members:
- Establish a vision for the community’s schools and participate in strategic planning.
- Develop effective policies and review them periodically.
- Provide accountability to the community on student achievement.
- Advocate for the needs of all students at the local, state and national levels.
- Attend several meetings per month (20+hours per week).
- Hire Superintendent and negotiate contract.
- Evaluate the Superintendent annually.
- Conduct student and employee appeals.
- Approve or reject program proposals.
- Develop, approve, and manage budget.
- Adopt school calendar.
Please submit all documents below as part of the application packet:
- Cover Letter – stating the candidate’s interest in the position and relevant experience in public service or education
- Financial Disclosure
- Brief essay from candidate addressing why they would like to be appointed to the vacancy and what they would contribute to the school board.
- Applicants must be registered voters in Washington County, MD
- Applicants are advised to read the state statute governing the appointment process and to review the school board’s ethics policy
Applications may be submitted:
- Electronically: Washington County Clerk Krista Hart at email@example.com. The subject line should read “BOE Application”.
- In-person: Sealed Applications may be dropped off at Washington County Administrative Complex, 100 W Washington Street, Hagerstown, MD 21740, ATTN: Marilee Kerns
- Mail: Washington County Administrative Complex, 100 W Washington Street, Suite 1101, Hagerstown, MD 21740 ATTN: Marilee Kerns
Please call 240-313-2204 for questions regarding the application process.