Planning & Zoning – Addressing Menu
During the road naming process we require those using the access to agree on the road name. The letter should be signed by all property owners indicating their agreement to the change and also the new name of the road.
Due to overabundance some words are no longer accepted in part or as a whole road name. Any of these words utilized in a submission of road names will cause the proposed road name to be immediately rejected.
In order to assist in the road naming process Washington County has provided a list of proposed and existing road names already in use or reserved for future use. Direct duplication is not permitted.
Tips for Road Naming
- Utilize the Prohibited Word List and Road List to avoid using road names which are not allowed or already in use.
- Do not include the suffix for a proposed road name when making a submittal for road name review. Washington County Planning and Zoning will assign suffixes.
- Washington County requires the road names to be unique and not sound like other road names in the county, therefore, these names are reviewed by both our office for duplication and Emergency Services for sound a like qualities. If you know you require road names for a project, please submit them in advance and our office will work to get them reviewed prior to any submittals to save time.
- Remember the rule, If you have 3 structures OR building lots using a private drive it does not need named. If a 4th structure or building lot is proposed then the drive will need to be named at that time. If you know you’re going to be doing 4 or more structures but its in phases please let us know so we can avoid naming after structures are already in use.
- When submitting names we recommend at least (3) proposed names for EACH road being named.
- When submitting names please DO NOT make only the suffixes unique, the spelling unique or use the names of living persons. Examples of unacceptable road name submissions might be Smith Lane, Smith Drive, Smith Ridge, Smyth, Smith, Cmith and James Smith Drive.