Important Notes About Address Changes
- If an address change is completed by the Planning & Zoning Department the following agencies are informed on your behalf.
*All other address changes are the responsibility of the property owner.
- Emergency Services – NEXTGEN911 Information
- Maryland Department of Assessment and Taxation
- United States Postal Service
- Property owners are not required to immediately record a corrected deed using the new address. An address is a description of your property, but NOT a legal description. Should you sell the property in the future or have any new transactions where an address is requested, please use the new address.
- It is recommended that you NOT change your address on everything immediately after receiving an address change letter. The address will be effective with the agencies our office notifies should you wish to use it, however, it is easier to change billing and other address items gradually. You have up to (1) year to change your address over before you postal carrier will return mail with the old address to the sender.
Helpful Links to Assist in Address Changes
Follow the link: Maryland Department of Motor Vehicles-Address Change
Visit the local MVA at 18306 Col. Henry K. Douglas Dr. Hagerstown, MD 21740
*Please call 1-800-950-1682 to make sure you bring any required documents with you. Please also note that CDL drivers and Businesses will need to go to the local MVA office.
Follow the link: Voter Registration Form fill out the form and return (addresses are at the bottom of the form)
Call 1-800-222-8683 to request a voter registration application be mailed to you.
Visit Verizon’s Support Page to change your address. Select Billing & Account then Add or Change Service.
*If you have a carrier other than Verizon then please look on your bill for a customer service phone or website or change your bill using the provided directions on your bill.
Yes, A property owner may notice that their address does not appear consistent with our address ordinance and they may contact our office to have it reviewed. The address must have an error in order to be changed. Should a road name be required, our office will assist the property owner through the process. We do not allow property owners to pick their numbers as the county utilizes a grid system to assign numbers.
Mail delivery and the policies associated with it are determined by the United States Postal Service. At this time, mail, after an address change, will be forwarded for up to (1) year.
Sometimes the US Postal Service can assist you with this question if you contact your local postmaster. However, our office did not keep a record of all the old rural route addresses. We will be glad to check our limited records if you contact our office.
Please contact our office so we can determine if the road is a county, state or local road. We will direct your concern to the appropriate office from that point.
The placement of your mailbox is determined by your mail carrier. You should contact your local post office for directions on mailbox placement. The addressing ordinance does have instructions for the size of house numbers and numbers at the end of the driveway which should be consulted in placing a mailbox.