Talent & Workforce
Our productive, dedicated, and well-rounded regional workforce of 400,000 has made the county a choice location for manufacturers, financial services, and distribution companies. This existing workforce provides an incredible opportunity to new businesses and those looking to expand, as a highly-educated and skilled workforce lives right here in our own backyard.
Over 12% of our workforce is involved in manufacturing activities— more than twice the average for the State of Maryland. Government, business, and community organizations partner together to continue to diversify the local economy. As a result, transportation and logistics, science and technology, hospitality and tourism, and financial services have a growing presence in our key industry sectors.
Business Development Menu
- Meritus Medical Center – Healthcare
- CITI – Credit Card Processing
- First Data – Credit Card Processing
- Volvo Group Trucks – Diesel Engine and Transmission Manufacturing
- FedEx Ground – Package Delivery
- Hagerstown Community College – Education
- Bowman Group, LLC – Developer
- Merkle Response Management Group – Data Entry
- ARC of Washington County – Social Services
Washington County has a stable cost market; low household income, low cost of living, and a large number and percent of households with income below $60,000, and low projected income growth.
Washington County has very strong supply of workforce (~161,000 workers) with notable visibility within the community (15.9% of all workers are in Production/Transportation).
General Population 2017
- 30 Minutes Drive Area – 321,112
- 10 Mile Radius – 159,430
- Percent of 30 minute population within 10 miles – 49.6%
- Average – 40.3
- <18 – 22.0%
- 18-40 – 27.5%
- 40-65 – 33.3%
- >65 – 17.1%
- Projected growth 18-40 year olds 2017-2027 – 15.8%
Civilian Labor Force
- Civilian Labor Force – 161,340
- % Not in labor force – 37.7%
- % Unemployed – 3.6%
Target Employment 2017
- Occupation Production/Transportation – 24,443
- % Occupation Production/Transportation 30 min drive – 15.9%
- % Industry Manufacturing/Transportation 30 min drive – 10.9%
Department of Business Development
Washington County Administration Complex
100 West Washington Street, Suite 1401
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.