It is important to take all safety measures into account before getting on the water this weekend to avoid water rescues requiring the use of overtaxed rescue resources.
Safety tips specifically for kayaks and canoes include:
- Check the weather water levels before planning your trip. Water levels can be checked at the National Weather Service.
- Plan a trip within your skill level.
- Create and share a float plan.
- Bring essential safety gear.
- Wear clothing to be fully immersed in water.
- Do not go alone.
For additional information, please contact Washington County’s Public Relations and Marketing Department at [email protected]