Over the past week, more than 7,000 interest forms were submitted to Meritus Health from senior community members to receive their COVID-19 vaccine. Meritus has started reaching out to those on the list to schedule available appointments. As the vaccine supply remains very limited, so do available appointments. For those who have filled out the form, it may take several weeks to receive a call from Meritus to schedule your appointment. We are asking all to please be patient as we work through the phases to schedule the priority groups as quickly and safely as possible.
These numbers will continue to grow as the State allows for people age 65 and older, public health and safety workers not covered in Phase 1A, and essential workers in lab services, food and agriculture production, manufacturing, the U.S. Postal Service, public transit, and grocery stores to begin registering on January 25th.
We ask for your patience as it may take months to get through these priority groups. There are plans to increase options for vaccines in pharmacies and health care provider options, which over time will give people more choices.
Beginning January 25th, the following Martin’s locations will provide vaccinations to those who are eligible.
- 1729 Dual Highway, Hagerstown, MD 21740
- 18726 N. Pointe Drive, Hagerstown, MD 21742
While you wait, we hope you will take the time to review the information below.
Second Dose Process
While vaccine supply continues to remain very limited, we expect to receive enough doses each week to provide second doses to people who have already received their first dose. Meritus is administering both the Pfizer vaccines they have received and the Moderna vaccines the Health Department has been given. It is recommended that those who receive the Pfizer vaccine receive their second dose within at least 21 days after the first dose. For those who receive the Moderna vaccine, it is recommended the second dose is given at least 28 days after the first dose.
Other vaccine products may be used in the future, so it is important that you refer to your “CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card” when making a second dose appointment to match the manufacturer of your first dose. At this time, second dose appointments are being scheduled when you receive the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Waiting for First Dose Appointments
If you have registered to get vaccinated and already have an appointment scheduled to receive your first dose, please keep your appointment. There is adequate vaccine supply for appointments that have already been scheduled.
If you have already registered to get vaccinated but have not received an appointment, please note the following:
- First of all, do not worry. Vaccinating you is our priority and we will do so based on scheduling and supply availability.
- Meritus will call you to schedule an appointment when additional vaccines are available. Appointments are being released as supply becomes available.
- You will remain registered for your vaccination and do not need to re-submit your information.
- Even though more groups are becoming eligible for vaccination, all appointments are being scheduled in the order that they are received. This means that adults age 75 and older who have already registered will have priority over those who register in the future.
If you have questions, here are some options:
- For information about the vaccine itself, it is recommended you see the FDA’s dedicated web pages on the vaccine: Moderna | Pfizer-BioNtech
- For local vaccine information, please see our vaccine website.
- There is not currently a dedicated phone line or system for you to check on your appointment status. We ask that you please be patient as appointments are released as vaccine quantity and scheduling allows. Generally, this is occurring weekly, but it might be more or less frequent depending on supply.
- If you have not registered to receive your vaccine yet, please read about the registration process at Meritus Health.