The County’s transportation system is the major structural element of the rural-suburban-urban community and it often dictates the type, shape, and location of various land uses in the community. Roads are the principal elements of the transportation system in Washington County and it is extremely important that they be planned and coordinated in conjunction with the County’s Comprehensive Plan. Roads are permanent improvements and are expensive to construct and maintain. Therefore, the greatest care and foresight are needed in the development of road construction plans to ensure adequate capacity, constructibility and longevity.
- The Division of Plan Review & Permitting reviews and approves all construction plans for development proposed within the County public right-of-way. This includes roads, sidewalks, pavement, curb and gutter, stormwater conveyance, grading, signage and striping.
- Road construction plans are required to be approved for new roads, road widening and entrance improvements.
- Road, entrance and pavement design standards are available upon request. All construction proposed within a County right-of-way requires an executed Public Works Agreement (contact Division of Plan Review & Permitting for form) and security posted prior to approval of construction drawings.
- A construction cost estimate shall be submitted to the Division of Plan Review & Permitting for approval prior to security posting.
- Contact Division of Plan Review & Permitting for more information at 240-313-2460.
Washington County Administrative Annex
80 West Baltimore Street
Hagerstown, MD 21740
TTY users: MD Relay 711
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.