HAGERSTOWN, MD (June 21, 2021) – The Washington County Highway Department
advises motorists the traffic signal at Edgewood Drive and Mt. Aetna Road is on flash and needs to be treated as a 4-WAY STOP at this time.
In the event no traffic lights are illuminated, drivers are expected to treat intersections as 4-way stops.
- Bring your vehicle to a complete stop, look both ways and then proceed when it is safe to do so.
- If two vehicles approach the intersection from different roadways at the same time, the driver on the left must yield the right-of-way to the vehicle to his or her immediate right.
- If the traffic light is flashing red in all directions, treat the intersection as a 4-way stop.
- Stop your vehicle before the crosswalk or white line and wait until it’s your turn to proceed.
- Remember to look both ways and keep an eye out for pedestrians and other vehicles that may fail to stop at the light.
- Malfunctioning traffic lights may also flash yellow. This is a warning for drivers to proceed with caution.
- Stay alert and look both ways before entering the intersection.
- Finally, in order to prevent collisions and maintain traffic flow, police officers are sometimes posted at malfunctioning traffic lights. In these cases, always follow the instructions of the officer.
Please use caution when approaching this area. Crews are working to get this repaired as quickly as possible.