HAGERSTOWN, MD (March 13, 2019) – The Washington County Highway Department announces a road closure on Saturday, March 16, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. until noon. Participants in the Saint Patrick’s Day Run Fest Half Marathon will be passing through Marty Snook Park as part of their course.
The main road closure will be on Bower Avenue heading north from Sterling Road to the rear entrance of Marty Snook Park in Halfway, Maryland. Traffic traveling south on Bower Avenue will not be affected.
The City of Hagerstown has released the following information about road closures occurring downtown:
- 8:30 a.m.: South Potomac Street will be closed to all traffic between Washington Street and Antietam Street. The right thru lane of West Washington Street will be closed to traffic at Summit Avenue; the left thru lane will remain open to traffic.
- 9:00 a.m.: Antietam Street will be closed to all traffic between South Burhans Boulevard and Walnut Street, and Walnut Street will be closed to all traffic between Washington Street and Park Circle. Cones will be placed on Memorial Boulevard between Surrey Avenue and South Potomac Street to create a lane for the runners and vehicular traffic will be restricted to one-way. Half marathon race begins at 9:45 a.m.
- 9:45 a.m.: Traffic will be stopped on the other race route streets to clear the course.
- 9:55 a.m.: Traffic on West Washington Street will be temporarily stopped at Summit Avenue to allow 5K and 8K racers to assemble at the starting line near the Public Square.
- 10:00 a.m.: The 5K and 8K races begin. Once all runners have passed the starting line, traffic will be allowed to flow in the left hand thru lane of West Washington Street.
For a map of the race course, click here.
Police officers, Auxiliary Police and race marshals will be stationed at all of the street intersections around the route to direct traffic during the race. Motorists approaching the race route should be aware that traffic may be temporarily halted at the various intersections to allow runners to pass by. It is anticipated that all runners will complete the races by 1:00 p.m. at which time all of the affected streets will be reopened to full traffic flow.
Race registrants are encouraged to arrive early and avoid on-street parking. The event will begin at 9:45 a.m. in front of the Maryland Theatre.
To register for the race, click here.
For additional information, please contact Public Relations and Marketing Director Danielle Weaver at 240-313-2380.