HAGERSTOWN, MD (July 15, 2022) – Washington County Government would like to congratulate Commissioner Wayne K. Keefer for completing the Academy for Excellence, thus becoming a Fellow of the Academy for Excellence in Local Governance (Academy).
The Academy for Excellence in Local Governance voluntary certificate program is a collaborative effort involving:
- Maryland Association of Counties
- Maryland Municipal League
- The Local Government Insurance Trust
- The School of Public Policy of the University of Maryland, College Park.
The Academy is an educational resource for the professional education needs of MD local government officials, providing the tools to make educated decisions on highly complex issues and to meet the challenges of their role; as well as to promote high ethical standards expected of elected officials.
Enrolled county government officials are required to take 8 “core” classes and 6 “elective” classes. In order to be graduation eligible and to receive academy certification, Commissioner Keefer was required to participate in the following:
- Basics of Risk Management
- Conducting Effective Meetings
- Consensus and Team Building
- County Financial Management
- Employment Issues
- Open Meetings
- Public Information Act
- Second Chance for Workplace Success: A Good Program is Good For Your County
- Angling for Educational Excellence
- Handle with Care: Substance Exposed Newborns
- Tech Expo Deep Dive
- Beyond the Classifieds: Finding and Keeping the Employees You Need
- Delicious or Deadly? A Food Safety Update
“I am honored to have graduated from such a respected program in Maryland. Nothing is more important for an elected official than understanding the issues facing their constituents and finding resolutions. This academy has helped me to become more knowledgeable of the many ways I can assist those I serve every day in Washington County” Commissioner Wayne Keefer