County Clerk Menu
Krista Hart, County Clerk Krista Hart was appointed County Clerk in July 2018 by the Board of County Commissioners. Her career with county government began in 1996 as a Deputy for the Washington County Detention Center. After many years with the Sheriff’s Department, she transferred to the Engineering Department as an Administrative Assistant, working directly under the County Engineer. She was a sworn member of the Transportation Advisory Committee working closely with the MD State Police, Sheriff’s Office, City of Hagerstown and other local officials and entities. During this time, Krista received numerous certificates in management which led to receiving a promotion to Office Manager, where she reported to then Director of Engineering and Construction, and former County Administrator, Rob Slocum.
To further her career with Washington County, Krista received her “Going for the Gold – Supervision” certificate in 2015 through the county-sponsored educational program. In 2017, Mr. Slocum received the position of County Administrator, promoting Krista as his Executive Assistant.
Krista is a member of the Maryland Municipal Clerk’s Association and the International Institute of Municipal Clerks; she has also received her certificate of completion for the Maryland’s Open Meetings Act. Additionally, she serves as the Records Officer for all Washington County Divisions and Departments.
Krista is a Washington County native and a graduate of Smithsburg High School. She resides in Hagerstown, Maryland with her daughter Kelsey. When she is not traveling to the islands with her sister and daughter, she is renovating old homes with her parents.
COUNTY CLERK DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs administrative duties and provides upper level managerial support for the Board of County Commissioners in performing the functions of their office. The County Clerk’s duties include:
- Attending all meetings, evening meetings, closed session meetings, workshops, public hearings, etc. held by the Board of County Commissioners to provide an accurate and concise record of meeting and actions taken.
- Providing transcripts of meetings if necessary for legal cases.
- Maintaining an up-to-date calendar of meetings and events for the Commissioners.
- Managing all County boards and commissions and coordinating member appointments.
- Preparing and monitoring fiscal year budgets for the Commissioners, Clerk, and Forensic Examiners.
- Administering the document management system/policy in place for County offices.
- Maintaining all documents such as resolutions, ordinances, etc. enacted by the Commissioners and recorded in the Clerk of the Circuit Court’s office.
- Performing all job functions and duties as outlined in the Maryland Code of Public Local Laws