County Clerk Menu
Dawn L. Marcus, County Clerk
Ms. Marcus brings a wealth of experience to her new role, having started her career with Washington County Government as the Legal Secretary to the County Attorney’s Office on February 22, 2022. Prior to joining the County, she spent three years at The Hartford, where she handled multi-state Worker’s Compensation claims, and over 11 years with Baltimore County Government in the County Attorney’s Office, initially as a Paralegal and later as a Legal Claim File Examiner. In her previous roles, she worked closely with multiple attorneys and the Directors of various County Departments. Ms. Marcus holds an AA degree in Business Law/Management and has additional credits in Jurisprudence from the University of Baltimore.
Outside of her professional endeavors, Dawn is happily married to her husband, Jeffrey, for 17 years, and they reside in the West End of Hagerstown with their two beloved Yorkies, Harley and Cookie. Together, they have a blended family of seven children and spouses, as well as 20 grandchildren. In addition to her work for the County, Dawn also operates a small Mary Kay business. During her leisure time, she enjoys boating and camping along the Potomac River with family and friends, as well as embarking on cruises and visiting sunny beaches.
Dawn is committed to continuing her educational journey and aspires to complete her degree in Law. She is excited about the opportunity to serve the Citizens of Washington County.
COUNTY CLERK DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs administrative duties and provides upper level managerial support for the Board of County Commissioners in performing the functions of their office. The County Clerk’s duties include:
- Attending all meetings, evening meetings, closed session meetings, workshops, public hearings, etc. held by the Board of County Commissioners to provide an accurate and concise record of meeting and actions taken.
- Providing transcripts of meetings if necessary for legal cases.
- Maintaining an up-to-date calendar of meetings and events for the Commissioners.
- Managing all County boards and commissions and coordinating member appointments.
- Preparing and monitoring fiscal year budgets for the Commissioners, Clerk, and Forensic Examiners.
- Administering the document management system/policy in place for County offices.
- Maintaining all documents such as resolutions, ordinances, etc. enacted by the Commissioners and recorded in the Clerk of the Circuit Court’s office.
- Performing all job functions and duties as outlined in the Maryland Code of Public Local Laws