GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Performs professional work, under the direction of the Chief of Permitting, to help facilitate the day-to-day operations of the Permitting Department, assists the general public in all phases of the permitting process to include commercial and residential building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, zoning certifications, etc.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Handles customer complaints and works with the Chief of Permitting to resolve the matters in a timely manner.
- Answers telephone calls – fielding general questions including but not limited to permit inquiries, setback requirements, allowable business uses, setting up appointments, checking statuses of permits, etc.
- Assists the general public in all phases of the permit process.
- Processes and issues a wide variety of permits which includes routing the permits to the proper agencies for review.
- Maintains accurate records, data bases and filing systems related to all building and construction permits.
- Processes building permits for six Municipalities.
- Processes applications for Board of Zoning Appeals cases.
- Processes applications for Animal Control Board cases.
- Processes Zoning Certifications in accordance with the Washington County Zoning Ordinance.
- Processes Use and Occupancy Certificates for building permits.
- Calculates and processes fees for building and trade permits and issues refunds back to customers as applicable.
- Monitors front lobby to ensure customers are being assisted in a timely manner.
- Reviews and processes permits submitted online through Citizen Access.
- Serves as Clerk to various Boards including Animal Control, Electrical and Plumbing/HVAC Boards. Attends monthly meetings and provides administrative assistance as needed.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of basic methods, practices and objectives of permitting ordinances and regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of the operations of the Permitting Department.
- General knowledge of basic research techniques and report writing.
- Excellent record keeping ability.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Capability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with employees and the public.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality as it relates to employees and personnel issues.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the administrative field and/or customer service
A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to a, personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. No significant standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, and handling, pushing, and pulling.
In-house Zoning Exam Certification (must obtain within 1 year of employment as a Permit Technician I)
Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
Three (3) Easy Ways to Apply:
- Visit our website at https://www.washco-md.net/jobs/
- Complete and email an Application to [email protected]
- Complete and mail Application to:
Washington County Human Resources Department,
100 W. Washington Street, Room 2300,
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740.
Internal Candidates are required to use an Internal Application (including resume) when applying.
Washington County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals requiring special accommodations or assistance are requested to contact the Human Resources Department at 240-313-2350, Voice or TDD (D/HH use 711) M/F/H/V
DEADLINE FOR FILING APPLICATIONS WITH HUMAN RESOURCES:
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2021 @ 4:00pm