GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Performs responsible unskilled work assisting in the safe disposal of refuse waste and recyclables generated by residents to ensure a safe and clean environment. Direction is provided by Operations Supervisor or Assistant Director.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Opens and closes transfer station. Unlocks and locks gate, checks grounds, dumpsters, lot, and driveway for safe operation.
- Checks all vehicles for current permit stickers and checks loads for acceptable items to be unloaded.
- Sells permits.
- Packs down and fills in corners and empties spaces of dumpsters to ensure maximum usage.
- Calls in full containers for pick up.
- Cleans up area around oil tank and recycle bins.
- Measures oil and antifreeze. Ensures patrons place oil, antifreeze and batteries in appropriate location.
- Provides information by telephone and in person concerning permits, recycling hours, directions to main landfill, pricing, acceptable items, etc.
- Assists disabled/handicapped persons.
- Assists with snow removal and ice control.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Some knowledge of the purpose of transfer stations; some knowledge of recyclable items and of recycling programs; skill in the use of specialized equipment to which assigned; ability to understand and follow specific oral instructions; ability to perform manual labor for extended periods, often under unfavorable weather conditions; ability to lift heavy articles; ability to read and write; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires stooping, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception, use of measuring devices, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, hazards, atmospheric conditions, and oils. The worker may be exposed to blood borne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.