While other Employers might offer competitive pay, Washington County Government offers a full, comprehensive compensation package worthy of your time and talents.
Please take a look at what you can expect to earn as an Environmental Engineer during your first year as a full time Employee with Washington County Government:
- Six (6) Paid Personal Days
- Ten (10) Paid Vacation Days
- Fourteen (14) Paid Holidays
- Fifteen (15) Paid Sick Days
- County and Employee funded “Cadillac” Healthcare including Health, Prescription, Dental and Vision Coverage for under $1.00 / hour (Employee Only)
- County Paid Employee Assistance Plan
- County Paid Life Insurance
- County Paid Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- County Paid Short Term Disability Insurance
- County Paid Long Term Disability Insurance
- Up to $2,500.00 Annual Tuition Reimbursement Assistance
- County and Employee funded Defined Pension Plan (According to CNN.com, only 4% of Workers in the Private Sector have Defined Pension Plans).
- Vested in just five (5) years.
- Credit for Prior Military Service and Unused Paid Sick Days.
- The gratification and fulfillment of serving Taxpayers and Citizens of Washington County, Maryland.
- An Annual Salary of $60,840.00 (Non-negotiable)
If our Environmental Engineer, comprehensive compensation package interests you, please continue reading through our job posting to learn more about the position’s duties, responsibilities, prerequisites, etc. and apply online today.
Division of Environmental Management-Engineering Services
Deputy Director of Engineering Services
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Responsible for design and/or management of construction extensions of water and sewer utilities, capital project management including design review and grants administration. Also, responsible for supporting the Maintenance, Operations and Collections divisions by preparation of RFP’s, or in-house design of a wide variety of capital projects in order to insure continuous service to customers and to comply with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Projects include, but are not limited to, Water and Sewer treatment plants, pump stations, and collection and distribution systems. Direction is provided by the Deputy Director of Engineering Services or Director. Supervision is exercised over subordinate personnel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Supports Deputy Director or Director with Administrative duties as necessary.
- Prepare materials, manpower, and equipment cost estimates, and track all in-house capital projects. Prepare management reports on same.
- Design of a wide variety of capital projects in order to insure continuous service to customers and to comply with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations
- Manage capital construction programs, track progress using appropriate methods such as CPM, etc., and prepares monthly status reports for same.
- Conduct progress meetings and public information meetings, attends County Commission meetings and prepares reports for same as required.
- Reviews for approval contractor’s requests for payment, inspection reports and test reports, proposals for contract changes, contractor’s claims, and prepares and processes change orders.
- Insures preparation and execution of appropriate contract documents such as Notice of Awards, Notice to Proceed, etc. for projects.
- Reviews and responds to all communications from contractors, governmental agencies, engineering firms and the general public.
- Prepare purchase requisitions for administration and construction and tracks requisitions as required.
- Provides appropriate documentation for preparation of budget transfers.
- Assists in planning and developing departmental goals.
- Assists in developing five (5) and ten (10) year plans.
- Perform all duties relevant to grants administration.
- Direct supervision of Capacity Management/Engineering Technician.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and experience in project management duties necessary to insure the timely, cost effective completion of projects.
- Knowledge and experience in preventive and corrective maintenance of water/wastewater plant type equipment to facilitate the RFP/design process.
- Ability to perform detailed review of engineering drawings and specifications.
- Ability to maintain a working relationship with subordinates and superiors in order to establish and maintain an efficient operation.
- Ability to maintain good public relations.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to ensure that maintenance and capital projects are prioritized, scheduled and completed.
- Possess good analytical skills.
- Ability to direct and supervise personnel.
- Working knowledge of computers, their operation, and commonly used software including Excel, MS Word, Access, etc.
- Working knowledge of GPS and the ability to establish and maintain the department’s GPS program.
- Working knowledge of Auto CADD and the ability to provide technical support.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor of Science Degree with major course work in Environmental or Civil Engineering.
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to a, personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. Some standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, and handling, pushing, and pulling. Must be mobile at plants, pump stations and construction sites.
Possession of a valid driver’s license, (ability to maintain) Registration as a Professional Engineer preferred.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
Three (3) Easy Ways to Apply:
Visit our website at https://www.washco-md.net/jobs/
Complete and email an Application to [email protected]
Complete and mail Application to:
Washington County Human Resources Department,
100 W. Washington Street, Room 2300,
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740.
Internal Candidates are required to use an Internal Application (including resume) when applying.
Washington County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals requiring special accommodations or assistance are requested to contact the Human Resources Department at 240-313-2350, Voice or TDD (D/HH use 711) M/F/H/V
DEADLINE FOR FILING APPLICATIONS WITH HUMAN RESOURCES:
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2021 @ 4:00pm