General Definition of Work:
Under general supervisory direction, performs mid-level financial work requiring technical knowledge in accounting.
The Assistant Payroll/Fiscal Analyst assists the Payroll Manager in the bi-weekly preparation of payroll and the Fiscal Analyst in the preparation of monthly bank reconcilements. As needed, the Assistant Payroll/Fiscal Analyst provides backup in the areas of accounts payable and accounts receiveable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Payroll Manager with the preparation of bi-weekly payroll.
- Assist in testing payroll software updates and updating documentation of the system as needed.
- Assist in filing requests for payroll system fixes, testing the fixes, and documentation of the process.
- Respond to questions and requests for information from employees related to their paychecks.
- Prepare reports and queries requested by staff for the purpose of billing, requesting reimbursement from grants, and for other budgeting and accounting purposes.
- Assist in reconciling general ledger accounts related to payroll.
- Assist the Fiscal Analyst in the monthly reconcilement of the general operating and payroll bank reconcilements.
- Provide backup in the areas of accounts receivable during periods of high call volume.
- Provide backup in the area of accounts payable as necessary.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the Chief Financial Officer and Director of Budget and Finance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of accounting procedures, principles and mathematics.
- Ability to interpret policies, procedures, laws, and contracts.
- Knowledge of payroll systems and delivery of automated systems in payroll.
- Must be able to multi-task, work under deadline dates, and withstand day-to-day changing priorities.
- Ability to understand and carry out detailed instructions.
- Strong analytical skills
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Office systems.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
Education and Experience
- Associate’s Degree in Accounting or related field with the successful completion of one-year course work in accounting.
- Two years of experience in an accounting or related office environment.
- Experience in payroll and bank reconcilements preferred.
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office-related equipment, such as, but not limited to, a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. Some standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, and handling, pushing, and pulling; Ability to do light lifting.