Science & Technology
Located an hour from Washington, DC’s biotech corridor and less than 30 minutes from well-known national biodefense resource Fort Detrick in Frederick, Maryland, Washington County is an affordable place to do business with close proximity to local metropolitan areas.
About 25% of Fort Detrick’s employees live in Washington County, MD and the activities and related agencies at Fort Detrick generate more than $1.7 billion in economic activity in the region.
The other 11,000 life science professionals who live in the area have enjoyed Hagerstown-Washington County’s affordable quality of life. Some are seeking ways to start their own biotech research closer to home and will find the biotech incubator setting a cost effective option for them. Notably, no traffic and shorter commutes to work are a bonus!
Hagerstown-Washington County has a growing list of information and communications technology and service firms with capabilities in computer systems design, web design and development, wireless communications technologies, software development, advanced data processing, records management, and cyber-security, including:
- Mountainside Teleport (Mid Atlantic Hub) – satellite communications
- GDC – information security/data recovery
- d’VinciInteractive – web design and development
- T. Rowe Price – secure backup data center
- TransOva Genetics – genetic preservation and cloning
- High Rock Studios – web design/development
- DocuTrac, Inc – medical records/practice management software
- Innovative, Inc – IT/computer services
- B&D Consulting – IT services/systems engineering/cyber-security services • Global Data Consultants – IT services