Division of Environmental Management
SOLID WASTE DEPARTMENT
SOLID WASTE DEPARTMENT
Solid Waste FAQ
- What are the landfill operating hours?
- The gates are open 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM, Monday through Saturday. If you have trash that requires weighing, you should be there no later than 3:00 PM.
- Can I take trash to the Forty West Landfill if I'm not a resident of Washington County?
- No. Trucks will come into the landfill with out of county addresses or out of state license plates, but these trucks are hauling waste generated in Washington Coutny. Loads are checked if it is suspected that they carry waste generated outside the County. Loads found to be from outside the County are rejected and in some cases the hauler must pay a reloading fee, landfill privileges may be revoked and fines levied
- What is allowed under a residential permit?
- A Residential Waste Permit is for disposal of household trash from your residence only. It does not include furniture, bedding, construction or demolition debris, or large bulky items. The Yard Debris Permit is for disposal of yard debris (leaves, brush, tree trimmings, lawn clippings) from your residence only. The Recycling Permit is for use of the green commingled recycling bins and cardboard-only bins at the four convenience centers, and the green commingled recycling bins at the 40 West Landfill.
- Do I need a permit to use the landfill?
- No. Washington County residents and businesses without a permit must go across the scale and are charged by the weight of the waste disposed of. Minimum scale fees apply and the waste must be delivered when the scales are open. Verification of where the waste is coming from may be required.
- Where can I dispose of leaves and grass?
- Leaves and grass are accepted for recycling at the Forty West Landfill, one mile west of Huyetts Crossroads off Route 40.
- Do you sell mulch or compost?
- Each year the County processes thousands of tons of yard debris. Mulch is made from the brush and soil amendment is made from the grass and leaves. Stop by and see these materials and join the list of customers.
- Can I purchase mulch or compost if I'm not a resident of Washington County?
- Where do I purchase a residential waste, yard debris or recycling permit?
- A residential permit can be purchased at the permit sales office on the residential use lot at the Forty West Sanitary Landfill, one mile west of Huyetts Crossroads off Route 40, from 8:00 AM - 2:30 PM, Monday through Saturday. You must bring the vehicle you wish to permit so the attendant can affix the permit to the vehicle. You may bring trash at that time and unload after purchasing a permit.
- Do you provide curbside pick-up?
- No, the County does not provide trash collection services.
- How do I find out who will collect my household trash?
- Check with your neighbors to see who they have collecting their trash. The Solid Waste Department can provide you with a list of licensed haulers that serve your area. Make sure that you don't already have that service if you live in a municipality.
- How do I dispose of disposable syringes?
- First, check with your pharmacist on proper disposal. The landfill cannot accept any sharps/needles that have been placed in a red plastic container marked biohazard. The landfill can accept insulin needles that are placed in a rigid container and marked "sharps, do not open" with household trash.
- Where can I recycle magazines?
- Magazines may be placed in the mixed paper section of the commingled recycling bins available through the recycling permit program at the four county convenience centers and at 40 West Landfill.
- Where can I dispose of propane tanks?
- Propane tanks are accepted (limit of 2) at the Forty West Landfill. They may also be turned in to Shawley's LP Gas or Rentals Unlimited for a charge of $5.00. Please call Shawley's or Rentals Unlimited in advance. You may also call the Solid Waste Department (Monday - Friday) for information on other disposal options.
- Will the landfill accept old fuel tanks?
- Yes, but they must have the ends removed or the tank cut in half. You may also call the Solid Waste Department (Monday - Friday) for information on other disposal options.
- How do I dispose of refrigerators and freezers? What must be done to them?
- The landfill accepts refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners at this time for a fee of $5 per unit. The freon does not have to be removed.
- How do I dispose of old paint?
- Old paint cannot be accepted in liquid form. It must be solidified or dried out. Use kitty litter, sand, dirt or torn up newspaper to absorb the liquid. Small amounts can be air dried if the can is left open for several days. Once in this form, it can be put in the landfill.
do I dispose of old tires?
- The landfill has a separate area for scrap tires. See the rates page (linked from the Solid Waste Web Site) and you must arrive before 3:00 PM to go across the scales.